Thursday, July 26, 2012

Set some shit on fire

Ok so lets embrace the mommy side of me for a moment and lets talk potty training.  Everyone has a cutesy story about how their kid learned how to go on the toilet.  In like a weekend.  Well pin a rose on your rose because that ain't happening over here!  When The Boy turned two we got all the essentials to start potty training.  Pulls ups (or the Walmart knock-off) and Big Boy underwear and books about peeing and pooping and potties or a step stool for every bathroom including one that would be used in public potties.  We were all stocked up and ready to go.  He expressed a little bit of interest.  Which meant he followed us into the bathroom Investigating exactly what we were doing in there. He followed the kids at day care to the bathrooom.  There was interest.  It was encouraging.  So we thought GAME ON!!  And then his interest stopped.  (Did we spook him??)

For one weekend he willingly participated in sitting on the potty every 15-30 minutes.  The closest we came to him doing anything in the potty (other than sticking his finger in the water every now and then) was when Juanito dumped the poop into the potty so we could finally flush something other than the three inch corner of toilet paper The Boy ripped off, dusted his junk with and then threw into the toilet.

Ever since then if you ask him anything about the potty the response is, "No." 

"You wanna go potty?"
"No."
"Are you sure?"
"No."
"How about if you just try?"
"No."
"Are you sure?"
"No."
"Wanna shoot fruit loops in the potty?"
"No."
"Wanna watch Daddy go potty?"
"No." (Good cuz Daddy didn't like peeing in front of the family, dogs included.)
"Wanna throw stuff in the potty?"
"No."
"You wanna go potty?"
"No."
"Wanna see if a magic fairy comes out of the potty?"
"No."
"Crackers!  There are crackers in the potty!  Do you..."
"No."

You're picking up what I'm laying down over here right?  No interest.  Its like potty is a trigger word for some emotional shut down!  We decided to fade out diapers (except for bedtime) and use only pull ups. 

That started out like a disaster.  He fought me to the point that we were both hysterically crying and one of us didn't have on pants or underwear. (I'll let you draw your own conclusions...).  And now that he is dealing with those, begrudgingly, it didn't have the effect I thought it would.  There is no new interest in his new pants or even a possible correlation to the potty.  He's like a honeybadger, he don't give a shit!

I've contemplated strapping him to putting him on the potty and making him sit there. But the kid won't even sit in the same spot for time outs I can't imagine him sitting on a stool that he has no interest in to do something that he doesn't seem to understand.  He is two and half and I feel like at this point we should start pushing the issue with him.  I read that we should just strip him down and let him wander around naked because it will make him more aware of his body.  I know that if you made me wonder around naked all the time I would be overly aware of my body.  But then again I can make the pee pee in the potty.  I can also poop in the potty.  Yep, I'm a big girl!  Don't mean to brag or anything...

So I digress.  Any thoughts from my very quiet peanut gallery?  How do I spark interest in the potty??  He is pretty stubborn and I'm afraid I need a big old flame thrower instead of a spark.

No comments:

Post a Comment