Friday, January 18, 2013

Lessons

Three years ago today my life changed forever with the Birth of The Boy.


When I woke up this morning I couldn't help but think "three years ago at this time my doctor was breaking my water after a night of Pitocin. 

When I finished up a conference call this morning, I thought "three years ago at this time I was dealing with contractions and not wanting an epidural.  Yet."

When I decided to take a break and eat some lunch, I looked at the time and thought "oh this was about the time things got scary-bad and I no longer knew really what was going on."

I know when I'm sitting in traffic on my drive home tonight I will think about how three years ago today I was being wheeled out of my labor room and into an emergency C-Section.  I only remember seeing my dad and he looked scared.

By the time I get home, my baby will officially be three years old. 

I recently recapped the step-by-step moments of The Boy's arrival with my mom.  She cried when we talked about the scary stuff and me being wheeled into the OR. 

Elizabeth Stone once said that having children "is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." It doesn't matter if your baby is new and fresh and wrinkly; or three and disheveled with a security blanket named Winnie; or 34 years old with a baby of her own, they are still your babies.  And even though I am working today and he is celebrating with his daycare friends and mini cupcakes (because who gives 2 year olds full-size cupcakes?  Someone who hate their daycare that's who!), I still go back to that rainy day when my heart stepped out of my body. 

I think about all the things I thought I knew before he came along and all the things I have yet to learn.  Of all the lessons he is teaching me it is my capacity to love that I did not know I had that is my most treasured lesson. 

Enough with the sappiness...bring on the PIRATES!!!  ARRRGGHHHH!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment