Monday, December 31, 2012

Comparison


1. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?
Attempted to be a stay-at-home mom and realized that that job ain’t for sissies or the mentally unstable.  Good thing I found a jobby job.  I also realized a goal of doing something I like while working for a company that is working towards making the world a better place, even if it’s just through water and sewage.  I also willingly vacationed with my family-at-large and successfully maintained my sanity. A truly surprising accomplishment. 

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I rarely make them because I rarely keep them so…nope. J

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No babies this year…we shall see what next year brings!

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No deaths either, which is probably good since we had our fair share of them in 2011 and 2010.  May we keep the 2012 streak alive!

5. What countries did you visit?
Well, if you count Nebraska as other country there’s that.  If you don’t then I didn’t travel outside of the US.  We went to Nebraska and California, which is a staple in our lives.

6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you didn't have in 2012?
A pregnancy and perhaps a baby.  Other than that I feel like we have so much.  So again, can we keep the 2012 streak alive in that aspect too?

7. What dates from 2012 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
I can't remember dates to save my life so probably none of them.  Sorry significant event that I'm not remembering right now. 
 
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
Work.  Finding a company that I am proud to work for who appreciates its employees enough to think of their comforts above all else.  At times I feel like I am capable of more but then I realize that everything is good.  Don’t mess with a good thing and more will come.

9. What was your biggest failure?
I think my biggest failure started in 2011 when I made the choice to leave my Hell employer for a pipedream that was NOT dreamy and short lived.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing crazy thank God!

11. What was the best thing you bought?
I have no idea.  Honestly we didn’t buy anything too exciting.  Or at least its not exciting any more.  But really I think financial stability has been a great accomplishment.  Starting the year off unemployed makes that whole thing a shaky thing. 

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I’ve got two to celebrate here.  First my relationship with AJ is like a 1000 times better than it was a year ago.  So I feel like celebrating the efforts on both of our parts because of this.

Second, Juanito and me as we continue down this treacherous path of parenthood I am continually surprised at our ability to handle it together. 

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Society.  I could name people that I actually know but that seems rude especially if they don’t read this.  So I’m going with society in general.  Between immigration debates, the Presidential elections, gun control debates and the looming fiscal cliff and all the finger pointing that goes with it I am appalled. 

14. Where did most your money go?
Bills, mortgage, car payment, vet bills, medical bills, fertility docs, and a little bit of travel.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Walden.  Even though I was nervous (well beyond nervous) about spending so much time with my family-at-large I was so excited about finally attending a summer camp. 

16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Ok so I guess its supposed to be Call Me, Maybe but there are so many others to choose from! 

Fun. – Some Nights.

Rhiannon –Diamonds (I don’t know why but it just does for me)
 
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Happier: way happier!  I’m not paralyzed with fear on my couch worrying about how I was gonna pay my mortgage let alone put gas in my car!
Thinner: Fat.  Way more depressed
Richer: Monetarily yes (see happier) and emotionally but really I think that might be thanks to the whole unemployment thing.  I am more grateful therefore richer.  Does that sound like a fortune cookie or a Psalm?

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Probably worked out.  I think I might always feel this way after the holiday season though.  Gluttony means depressed shopping at Old Navy which is a new holiday tradition.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Eat.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
With my family.  With all the bitching and therapy I do when it comes these guys, I still love being with them.  Even if it means I don’t really love myself. Oi, I should call Dr. Curmudgeon soon.

21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
I think I fall more and more in love with Juanito as the years go by.  So yes, yes I did.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Revelations (or Revolutions for those who don’t like in this house) became a reluctant must-watch in this house.  As well as Parenthood (because it ain’t Tuesday unless you’re crying on the couch) and Duck Dynasty because I want Uncle Si in my family.  (He would seriously blend in.)

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Well this is just a bad idea to answer.

24. What was the best book you read?
Shelter Me made me cry like no one’s business. It touched on my biggest fear as a mother and wife.  I loved every character.  Oh and the whole Hunger Games Trilogy.  Don’t hate me, but I loved it.  Hopefully the fact that I haven’t read nor seen the Twilight Saga will redeem in some eyes. 

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Lumineers. Fun. Florence and the Machine, oh Vampire Weekend!  Spotify!  All of the DMB Live Traks that Juanito got me for Christmas.

26. What did you want and get?
The chance to try for a baby, again.  I wasn’t sure it was in the cards for us this year.  Thankfully it’s a big deck.

27. What did you want and not get?
The pregnancy but we’re still working on it.

28. What was your favorite film of 2012?
All year long?  Man I can’t remember every movie I’ve seen.  But I will have to say that hunger Games is one of most anticipated movies of my life.  Catching fire comes out in 2013 so that’s promising!

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 34 this year and I still have to do the math to remember it.  But I ended my Jesus Year and started my “mid-thirties.”  I celebrated in Carlsbad and will continue to do so until I don’t celebrate birthdays.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Adding Powerball Winner to my accomplishments.  Money doesn’t buy you happiest but it allows you time to create it for yourself!

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2012?
Cardigans and flats.  I quit the charade of wearing heels.  Flats allow me to be nimble and fashionable.  I will weep when ballet flats go out of style.

32. What kept you sane?
Juanito, Schmacey, Schmaren, other various friends, AJ and The Boy.

33. What political issue stirred you the most?
Oy, where to begin….  Women’s health, abortion, immigration (I live in Arizona I can’t help it), same-sex marriage, Obamacare.  The older I get the more riled up I get about political issues.  I foresee that I will be the 60 year old who is occupying Washington. 

34. Who did you miss?
Those who have passed.  If you’re too far away from me in miles, I can call you, exchange pictures and texts and parts of our lives in tidbits.  If you’re gone forever I will never have that chance again.

35. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Imagine that we could get it together
Stand up for what we need to be

--Dave Matthews Band “Mercy”

No comments:

Post a Comment